I awoke Friday morning at 4.45 EST with horrible heartburn. When I realized what time it was, I went straight into the living room to watch the fanfare of the Royal Wedding!
To my dismay, the DVR was not working (and in fact did not start taping until after 7.30 am) so it was a very good thing that I awoke when I did…because this thing wouldn’t be replayed over and over and over all day…
Obviously since I was viewing in my pajamas, I was all by my lonesome. I did take a look out at the apartments I face and saw two or three apartments with their lights on. Who knows who was up for the wedding action. I knew social media was going to explode, so I logged onto my Twitter account (where a day prior I decided to follow Clarence House) and knew there would be tons of action with the tag #rw2011, among others.
Just as soon as I logged on, I saw a friend Tweet so we started to text message in real time. Probably a half hour later my sister texted me to see if I was up, and we also texted throughout the wedding. She’s a little crazier than me, because she is another three hours behind me…so I was up at 4.45, she was up at 5.15, which was really 2.15 her time! We went back and forth on email the better part of the morning. When I finally deleted them all, I realized I had sent her 69 messages and she had sent me 53. I’m sure our parents are so proud.
Some observations throughout:
- Pippa and Harry…now we wait to see if this comes to fruition.
- LOVE the hats. Why don’t we do that in the States? I want to meet Philip Treacy. LOVED his hats. What am I saying, I loved the whole idea of all the hats. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.
- Virgin Atlantic…Just as Wills and Kate arrived at Buckingham Palace, they posted a Facebook status for a sale to London. Great thinking on their end. Who doesn’t want to be in London…right. that. second!
- Wills and Kate and Kate and her dad all held hands funny. One hand on top of the other, but not really ‘hand holding’ as we know it. Must be a Royal thing. Not very romantic for Wills and Kate and I can’t imagine that’s how Mr. Middleton wanted to hold his daughter’s hand as he walked her down that magnificent aisle.
- We all knew they would have little privacy as the world watched. But seriously? The TV networks had lip readers? I mean of course I am happy to know that Wills has a sense of humor but did we REALLY need to know what he said, during the ceremony.
- Kate’s sister, Pippa, looked stunning. But no one could fix Kate’s brother’s tie before he gave a speech in front of billions of people? He still looked cute, but the poor guy’s tie was crooked the entire time.
- And then there’s Kate getting out of the carriage. There was a guy to help her out, and Wills and Kate started to walk towards the entrance. The guard, or whoever he was, tried to get Kate’s train together and flip it out, but stopped and basically threw the whole thing on the ground. Hilarious. Am certain someone fixed it soon after but I thought it was funny that all the cameras caught it, but I can’t find anything about it in a Google search and when I see replays of Wills and Kate getting out of the carriage, the footage cuts off just before the guy drops the train.
- And, let’s not forget London. She looked spectacular today!
After work, I came home and watched a few recaps and finally went to bed after midnight (just about 5a GMT so I’m sure they were getting ready for breakfast post-party…)
What a fantastic show! I don’t know how I made it through the day, with so little sleep, but I loved every minute of it. I realize not everyone cares, but of all of those who watched the wedding…who didn’t want to be Kate, or even Pippa, today?
Leave a Reply