Last week I went to a reading series, appropriately titled, Restless Legs. Not only is it a great name for the group, it’s a perfect nickname for me.
The reading I went to had the theme of women’s focused writing. Each woman read an excerpt from their book (the dream!). There were four readers – each had her own story.
We heard from four different women about…
- The differences and stereotypes facing a single woman in her 30s while visiting her family in India from NYC.
- The challenges that arise when souvenir shopping for a young neighbor after discovering that the best gift for a 12 year old boy is a soccer jersey.
- A love/hate affair with, and affairs in, Paris.
- Moving a young family to Spain while the mom learns how to flamenco dance. Twice.
In the same order, each of the writers…
- Reminded me that every country has different views of young, single women.
- Made me laugh as I remembered some of my more tedious quests for the perfect gifts to bring home.
- Made me want to return to Paris and do it right.
- Made me long for the smells, the sights and the sounds of Spain.